Any one gotten De Quervain's Syndrome (aka mummy's wrist) before? My wrist is hurting from carrying of baby and the pain is getting worse everyday. What should I do?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

DeQuervain’s Tenosynovitis is an inflammatory condition affecting the tendons on the thumb side of the wrist. It is very likely caused by having to engage in repetitive pinching or gripping action, and prolonged positioning to hold an object. Signs and symptoms of this condition include: - Pain over the thumb side of the wrist - Swelling can be present at the site of the pain. - Difficulty moving the thumb due to pain and swelling. - Occasional snapping or clicking at the painful site when the thumb moves. Hand therapy and wearing a splint are the common courses of treatment. For some self treatment: - Identify the activities that appear to be causing the pain (or swelling and numbness in thumb or wrist), and try to change the way you perform the actions (for example, find other ways of holding the baby if the current position is causing pain). - Take frequent short breaks - Perform this exercise to improve your thumb’s range of motion: http://www.ktph.com.sg/index.php/hllibrary/display/824 For more information on this condition: https://www.ktph.com.sg/hllibrary/display/847

Read more
5y ago

Hello ☺ Is it alright to take etoricoxib Arcoxia to treat De Quervain's Tenosynovitis? Thank you so much in advance.

My avid gamer friend gets bouts of pain every now and then due to De Quervain's Syndrome. He had to wear a splint which covered the wrist and thumb in order to protect the area for while and even had to get shots to reduce the inflammation in his tendons. These days he takes ibuprofen to help with the pain and occasional swelling. Apparently, massages are pretty effective for De Quervain's syndrome. You can try sports, shiatsu or Swedish massage techniques to help alleviate the pain. Massage helps to increase the circulation, increases the thumb and wrist's range of motion as well as break down the scar tissue contributing to pain and numbness.

Read more

I had it and went once for acupuncture.. and ate calcium pills and wore a hard brace.. now better. The pain is mostly gone, but it comes once in a while when I carry my child but I'm used to the pain so I just let it be.