A friend of mine has been told to avoid sex in the third trimester of pregnancy. Is this true? Will it 'hurt' the baby?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is generally safe to have sex during the third trimester if you are having a healthy and normal pregnancy. You may have to adjust and try different positions to make it more comfortable. However, if you have any of the following conditions, it is best to avoid having sex at this stage: - Your placenta covers all or part of your cervix (contractions from orgasm or contact from the penis may traumatize the placenta and cause bleeding that could endanger the pregnancy) - If you are having vaginal bleeding in the third trimester - If you water has broken (your baby is no longer protected against any infection) - You have had premature labor in the past You can refer to this link for more information (suggestions of positions to try are provided at the end of the article): http://sg.theasianparent.com/pregnancy_sex_guide_for_dads/

Read more

If you look at the anatomy of uterus and vagina, male's penis is impossible to reach baby. Thus, it is perfectly fine to have sex in 3rd trimester if there is no complication. If your friend is worried it will trigger labor/contraction, you can suggest her to have sex after 37 weeks.

Post reply image

Kekeke, I actually ask my gynae this and he chuckled! As Hui Qun said, as long as your pregnancy is going along well with no complications, it's perfectly fine to have sex with your spouse

thanks