Gesturing at 9mth old

Hello! At 9mth old, my LO still can't wave, clap or point. Wondering if it's still early for her or it's something of concern? Thankss

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

U might wanna keep a diary of milestones and bring this up to ur peads at the next visit or just swing by for a consult. Sometimes yes different babies progress differently but its good to be aware and take action if ur instincts are signalling u something might be wrong. As an educator i do make a mental mark of the issue and start to observe with records before bringing it up to a professional aka dr. Do some readings too on reliable sources aka hospital sites. At nine months waving might emerge if im not mistaken. But clapping or pointing might not look like what we can do. It may just look like putting hands together with fingers clenched or pointing with whole arms and hands toward the items. Continue doing songs and play with ur baby. Finger play songs like itsy bitsy spider, one little finger or big movements like head shoulds knees toes, row row row ur boat. make up ur own movements to the songs too. do little games like putting different coloured toys out if reach and model urself pointing to toy and then taking it. alot of pretend play and engagement so baby see baby do. Sometimes its a learned skill so alot of support and modelling is needed. Just have fun with ur baby! Hopefully nothing to worry about🥰

Read more

It's normal for different children to be slower in development wise. you can always teach your child the actions. my son is 11 months old and can't do the actions you mention. but my son corrected age is 8 months old (premature baby). don't worry. just be patient. if you are really concerned, you can always arrange to meet physiotherapy.

Read more