Youth adolescents

My 13 year old has been really temperamental and I suspect she doesn’t want to tell me she likes someone. How do I get her to talk to me about it without being fierce or intimidating her to talk about it

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Make time to spend with her to talk about anything - not related to requests to do homework or perform. If you regularly talk about small things, bigger things will come more naturally too. When she talks, be sure to listen and acknowledge her feelings, whether you agree with her opinion or not. Try not to lecture. Rather, ask questions like "how do you think that would work?", or "sure, that's one option, what do you think another option might be?" and help them reason out a good solution for themselves. If she feels you're not going to be immediately judgemental, she might open up more. Share some of your experiences when you were that age as well, and some of the questions and concerts you had and even mistakes you may have made. That will help her to see that you've been through similar things and hopefully that you can relate to her. Try the bramble app - it helps to foster closer communication between parents and kids.. https://letsbramble.com/

Read more

My 13 Yr old boy also temperamental.. I think its normal la. Hormones raging.. But temperament only when his tired from school and I still scold him.. I think it takes time to build bonding with young teens to tell you thier inner secrets. Normal conversation at times with them u would roughly know if she or he likes someone in his school as daily conversation they will spill out unintentionally.. After awhile when I keep hearing the same girls name I would kiddingly ask my boy if he likes they girl as he keeps mentioning her name.. He will shy away immediately and tada, you know it... If not I will intentionally pop some question regarding the girl and see if his blush.. If he does. Bingo. U know he confirm likes the girl. That's how I dig my boy secret admirer

Read more
VIP Member

Spend more time with your daughter, be like a friend to her. Dont force or nag at her ...At the end of the day I believe they will open up and start to tell us more stuff.

VIP Member

Go to her with the intention to be inquisitive.

VIP Member

be like a friend to her