- Olive oil
- 1 medium banana heart
- 1 medium white onion , chopped
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs , beaten
- Peel the banana heart, removing the outer, fibrous skin layers until you reach its softer core. Chop the stem and discard. Slice the core in half and then into thin shreds.
- In a bowl of cool salted water, soak the shreds for for about 20 minutes. Squeeze them using hands to release the sap and then rinse with cold water. Drain well.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp of oil on medium heat. Sautee onions until translucent. Add banana heart and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until liquid absorbed. Remove and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix sauteed banana heart, flour, and eggs. Mold patties.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tbsp of oil on medium heat. Add banana patties in a single layer and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden and firm. Remove from pan.
- Serve with rice, couscous or quinoa. Or arrange into a burger.
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.