Couscous Risotto with Chicken and Spinach
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 leeks , white and green parts only, halved lengthwise, sliced thin, and washed thoroughly
- 1 ½ cups pearl couscous
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups baby spinach , coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese , grated
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, melt 1 tbsp of butter over medium-high heat. Place the chicken breasts in the Dutch oven, browning all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer chicken breasts into a bowl
- Melt the remaining 2 tbsp of butter over medium heat in the same Dutch oven. Add the leeks and couscous, cooking until the leeks have softened and the couscous is lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the broth. Add 1 tsp salt, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and stir occasionally, until couscous is tender, about 12 minutes.
- Add the chicken, as well as any of the juices accumulated in the bowl. Cook, covered, until chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the spinach, Parmesan, peas, and cream. Let the remaining heat cook it through, about 5 minutes. Serve.
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.