Waldorf or Montessori preschool

What do you think of the Waldorf method of raising kids?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think the Waldorf method could be interesting for some families but not for my family. The schools tend to have a religious connotation to it - and practice spirituality. I am raising my child to not prescribe to a type of religion. Also it’s not very academic focused and I am not sure if it’s right for our asian type of countries. Value is placed on arts and nature and less on rote learning and memorisation. I visited a Waldorf school in Australia recently and I got the impression that all they do is bake, draw, arts, dance and music. To be very frank I would only put my child in Waldorf if I realised she wasn’t very intelligent or had developmental delays.

Read more

Hmmmz...I'm not inclined towards any particular method, and prefer to raise my kids my way. Waldorf seems to be more spiritually oriented and are based out of a generally Christian perspective so it's not for me. Waldorf also focuses on imaginary play and fantasies. While its good to let our kids be creative and let their fantasies run wild, it's not something I will emphasize on. Maybe I dont understand this method enough, but it's not something I'll adopt or go for.

Read more