What are some of the most common causes for childhood injuries?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Here’s a list of common childhood injuries: Burns and scalds – such as sunburns, electrical burns, burns from hot liquids, steam from pan or even bathwater. Poisoning – from accidentally ingesting medicines, shampoo, and cleaning products Head injuries – falling from highchairs, beds, furniture, stairs, slippery floors, and play structures Choking – on food, small objects Cuts and scratches – caused by sharp fingernails, pets, sharp objects, edges of furniture, or glass Fractures and sprains – from halls Eye injuries – caused by dust, sand, chemical sprays Drowning – in pools or even at home during bath time Bumps, bruises, scrapes and falls are part and parcel of growing up. Usually, a child would recover quickly and be back to his/her active self in no time. Common areas to pay more attention to would be in the kitchen, toilet, at pools or beaches, and around roads.

Read more

I got alot of bruises on my feet and toes as a child because I always seem to ram them into hard objects by accident whenever I walked. I grew up in a house with lots of children (siblings and cousins) so there were always toys lying around and I get a lot of bruises from stepping on them, falling over because of them and especially ramming the middle of my fourth and fifth toe into the table or chair.

Read more

Hui Qun did a good job of listing out a comprehensive list of things that cause injuries, so I won't add anything here. According to KKH, 60% of childhood injuries are actually sustained at home - so your home is probably the first place to secure. This article is a great place to start: http://sg.theasianparent.com/how-to-childproof-your-home/

Read more

Personally, falling was the most common cause of injury. I used to fall while biking, running, playing sports etc etc. I feel not having enough bruises on knee and elbow means childhood was pretty dull :) Worst was when I electrocuted myself when I touched a street light. I can still feel the shock :D Also, burnt myself a few times :) Pretty eventful.

Read more

most common cause is running, from there they hit stuff or they fall and suffer bruises and cuts. I remember as a kid i ran and hit my head on a pit and it started bleeding.... My mum freaked out and luckily a uncle nearby put tobacco on the wound that helped stopped the bleeding

Usually playgrounds, playing sports, and getting into scuffles with the people in the neighbourhood. Just all part of growing up.

thanks