Uv sterilizer can’t be used with latex, rubber or silicone?

Many websites state that uv rays deteriorate latex, rubber and silicone turning them yellow fast -Is this true? Most pump parts and baby bottles and bottle teats are made from these materials... does this mean we have to replace the pump part and bottles very quickly?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I read in my sterilizer manual that it's fine to use the silicone parts even when they turn yellow. It's not an indication of deterioration. If you UV them every time after wash, it will start to turn yellow by the 2nd week. So I change them according to wear and tear or the schedule recommended by the manufacturer. Some rubber/latex parts cannot be sterilized with UV sterilizer bcos it will harden. Can only boil or steam.

Read more

Mine does turn to yellow over time. As for bottle teats, I tend to replace them anyways as they tear cause my baby like to bite them. And pump parts you have to replace them anyways depending on how often you pump. Some parts need to be replaced monthly. This is so that you can pump efficiently https://exclusivepumping.com/when-to-replace-breast-pump-parts/

Read more
3y ago

I never really notice how fast it turns yellow. To be honest I never really notice it turns yellow until I compare it the new parts. Hahah

TapFluencer

yes useless yours using ppsu bottles. I change the moment they turn yellow. maybe you can use traditional method in sterilising the pump parts etc using hot water.

3y ago

How fast will they turn yellow?

VIP Member

it's dependent on the products. some products will indicate safe for uv sterilization.