Periods after delivery

Typically, how many months after delivery do you start getting your periods? I delivered nearly 3 months back

51 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The time frames below are just approximations of when you might start having your period again. If you're wondering whether your situation is normal, check with your doctor to make sure things are on track. Nursing moms: One benefit of breastfeeding is that it can delay your period. If you've been breastfeeding exclusively, day and night, since you had your baby it can take six months or longer before you have to run to the store for tampons, suffer from PMS, or cope with cramps. But the less often your baby nurses, the sooner your period may come back. So if your baby sleeps through the night from an early age, or if you're supplementing with formula, it's likely your period will return sooner than six months. Non-nursing moms: If you're formula-feeding your baby, you'll probably start menstruating one to three months after delivering your child. If you don't get your period by three months postpartum, talk to your doctor. She may want to check for secondary amenorrhea (that's when women with previously normal cycles don't have a period for three months), pregnancy, or other issues.

Read more

How soon a woman’s period return is dependent on various factors, such as nursing style, introduction of solid food, bottle feeding etc. You can take a look at this article for more information: http://www.newkidscenter.com/Period-While-Breastfeeding.html According to the article, the average appears to be around 6 months after delivery. Do take a look at the article to find out how other factors may affect the return of your period.

Read more

I got my first postpartum period in 8th month. But every woman body & circumstances are different, so there's no reliable way to predict. In general, breast feeding moms will get periods after 6months, whereas for non nursing moms will get period in 1 to 3months. And also menstrual flow comes back heavier or lighter than it was before u became a mom. you may also find that your cycles are irregular at first.

Read more
VIP Member

Are you breastfeeding? If breastfeeding than it really depend. No1 latch awhile and exclusive pump came around 1/2 a year later plus minus that period, but irregular till i stop than regular. No2 latch and pump, came 1 year later. If not breastfeeding, i'm not sure, need what for other people reply.

Read more

It all depends on your body and your baby's breastfeeding schedule. I breastfed my baby exclusively for 6 months. After that, she was having solids but also was being breastfed during night and sometimes in the afternoon. I felt awesome to not see Aunt Flo for 20 months after delivery :)

It really depends on each individual. And whether are you on total breastfeeding or not. I was on total breastfeeding and my first period after delivery is around 6 months. I do have friends who does not have their period for more than a year.

My period come back after one year because I have been actively breast feeding pumping milk for my boy! It depend on individual, after one year I stop slowly my period came back as well

I got my period back after 3 months. Im a low supply mom. So baby mainly drink formula. I latch about 2-3times nowadays. If i dont latch, i will pump out.

If you are breast feeding it will take a while..but for me i didnt nurse because no milk come out..so i had my period the month after i gave birth..

I got my period 6mths pp while breastfeeding. 2 years now and I’m still breastfeeding and menses came on time every month just like before.