Should i seek a second opinion?

Today i went to KKH to get a scan of my baby. The foetus was there but according to the gynae there is no heartbeat. However, there are two conflicting accounts that i've heard: Lady who did the scan said its at 5 weeks+ Gynae said its 8 weeks+ They are giving it the benefit of the doubt and highlighted possible miscarriage. Im quite anxious over this - wondering if i shld go to private to seek second opinion?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I had similar experienced in last year September. I had my second ultrasound at KKH when I was at my week 9. The nurse could not found a heartbeat during the abdominal and vaginal scan. Doctor then diagnosed as missed miscarriage and I was immediately being offered 2 options - to schedule for D&C or to come back a week later for another scan to reconfirm. Of course I was not ready to get rid of my baby at that time. I went to private gynae on the same day to seek 2nd opinion. Private gynae confirmed that my baby measured 2 weeks behind and confirmed that there wasn’t any heartbeat found. He later advised and consoled me that I should be immediately accepting the solution to remove the dead fetus from my womb for health reason rather than wait any longer. I chosen to take the pills for vaginal insertion to kick start the miscarriage process on the very same day. Gynae advised that I could try again after one menstrual cycle. My advised is go ahead and seek for second opinion at private gynae immediately. May everything goes well for you.

Read more
VIP Member

Can go seek second opinion if you have any doubts. If the gynae mentioned you’re 8weeks plus based on last period, and the sonographer says baby measures around 5weeks plus in the scan, then unfortunately, I think chances that your baby has already stopped growing inside is quite high. This happened for my 1st pregnancy. Baby stopped growing inside, and measured smaller during scan. Couldn’t detect heartbeat also. I had heavy bleeding few days later and gynae confirmed miscarriage.

Read more
VIP Member

go for the second option. I was being informed that they couldnt find the baby heartbeat when i went back for the second scan but the gynae couldnt confirm it is a miscarriage, so they schedule me to go back today but I got natural miscarriage process last thursday and was admitted to hosp due to the heavy active bleeding. please go for the second option and make a decision quick if it is confirm, dont risk your life like i do.

Read more

pls go for second opinion. additionally I did hcg blood test 2 days apart to confirm the hcg/hormones level is dropping, which is another sign of miscarriage. true enough my second opinion verified the mc and hcg level did drop, did d&c on the 3rd day. extremely painful journey to go through. no matter what u are not alone and we have the whole community here for you. take care..💛

Read more

yes, go to private for sec opinion. heard from my friend's encounter, gov hospital gives do give false alarm smtimes. take care

Go for second opinion perhaps just go for a private gynae.. Be safe than regret.. Be strong girl!

VIP Member

yes you should! seek another opinion to give yourself assurance.

VIP Member

Yes please proceed with your second opinion!

Yup. Go for a second opinion. Take care!

Yes. If there any doubts just go.