Cycling outdoor in your first trimester?

Hi there, I'm currently 5 weeks pregnant and had 3 prior miscarriage since 2020. Currently I need to cycle 4km to-and-fro for work, so wanted to know if anybody did the same and had a safe pregnancy? #advicepls

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I did leisure cycling in first and early second trimester just for fun. It became abit uncomfortable in 2nd trimester and I didn’t enjoy it anymore and stopped. However, for you, given the 3 prior miscarriages and I assume cycling to and fro for work will mean that you’ll be doing it almost daily, my advice is to stay on the safer side and avoid cycling throughout your pregancy. You might be a very safe cyclist but I guess we can’t say the same for other road users. The risk is too high, I hope you find other alternatives to travel to work.

Read more
2y ago

You’re welcome! I am currently at 36 weeks, waiting to pop 😬 I felt super tired in first trimester and slept whenever I got the chance, I was still pretty active then due to work and walked quite a lot. Second trimester, felt like I got my energy back. Tried to walk at least 2km a day at first because I am very conscious abt maintaining my weight but I started to have lower back pain and can’t really walk for too long… You can try walking laps in a swimming pool. It really works up your energy and doesn’t cause much pain for me… I’ve not been very active in third trimester because it’s really exhausting but I try to take short walks here and there and do some light stretching. At this point I’m just really tired even if I don’t do anything hahaha 😝 Hope you have a safe and smooth pregnancy ❤️