Sleep regression or clingy baby?

Some nights 4months+ baby can sleep in his cot & wakes up around 4-5am to sleep with me (in fact, on me because he loves body contact). On other nights he will cry no matter how I pat him, he would sleep better when sharing bed with me & my husband. I wanted him to sleep safely but I couldn’t figure out why he sleeps better on our bed than in his cot. Is it sleep regression or he’s just a clingy baby? #firstmom #firstbaby #firsttimemom #help

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hmm i can't figure it out too 🤣 part of sleep regression is also separation anxiety but i'd know my daughter has one when she learnt a new skill (3 months almost 4 - rolling over & 6 months - sitting and most recent was when she starting standing and in the middle of the night she would suddenly sit knowing that she's tired and sleepy but her body just wanted to sit). usually i'll hug her to sleep as a last resort then placed her back in her cot. but the patting and crying no matter how much you are trying tells me it's a regression too. you got this Mama! my baby had this for almost two weeks. just know it'll be over soon!

Read more
5mo ago

I thought it might be sleep regression but it’s been going on for a month plus. He can sleep right away the moment i pick him up & sleep on top of me. Of course i’ll put him right next to me once he’s in deep sleep. I’m afraid it’s his habit because it’s always between 4-5am every night. Is it possible to train him out of that habit or is it just a phase? 😥

He finds comfort and security being with his parents. My 7 month old baby sleeps between us, on her lounger. She loves to snuggle with us too.