Seeking your opinion on this!

Hi! Recently my parents in law (first time grandparents) purchased this gold necklace for my twins and informed us via our whatsapp group chat. Later on , I found out my mother in law pm-ed my hubby to ask him “you guess how expensive the necklace is?”. I got upset because we did not ask them to buy anything for the twins and felt that the question was unnecessary (especially if it is a gift and you should bless willing) but my husband felt that it was ok for us to know to price. So I asked “why is there a need to pm you if that’s the case and why not just say in the groupchat?”. I just don’t understand why there’s a need for them to boast about the price of the gift. Tbh I’m happy that they bought a gift for my twins as I believe it is the thought that counts... Am i being overly sensitive on this? #1stimemom #advicepls #pleasehelp

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hi, giving gold to newborn is an act of blessing which most family still practices. so for your in laws, it might be a case as "need to/ must give" rather than "want/wish to give". and being a first time grandparent, i believe they will want to give. in addition, gold price is super expensive now! so i will choose to ignore that question posted to your husband. at least, i dont feel they are boasting. in fact, i will be glad that they care about your feeling and not to say in front of you. there are alot of in laws that wants to boast and make sure you will confirm KNOW about it. anyway imo, it is good to know the price too. at least you can decide how you want to do it in the future, whether to sell or topup in future in exchange for other gold when ur twins outgrow it.

Read more
3y ago

Hi! Thanks for your advice.. I think I should just don’t care and accept the gold😆

This is interesting