Milk have yet to increase even wen frequent latching

Realise my breast milk drop wen pumping. Right sight can go as low as 5-10ml for evry 30min pump. I think it started wen my 6weeks lo had a long stretch of night mal (3-4h) and i sas also asleep and woke up after 3h and dreamfeed her. Ive been latchimg on demand but has mot seen any increment. Powerpump sometimes nothing cameout on the 2nd or 3rd sesh. My left also not very much. Any advice? Im on oat biscuit for snacks and mama’s choice milk booster. How long will i see an increment? Its hard to pump on day time cuz LO takes shortnap then disrupt my pumping session #pleasehelp #advicepls

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Try squeezing every ounce of milk out of your breast. Sometimes you actually have milk, but the pump can't get it out. Maybe when u pump, try squeezing all angles of your breast, like push up the bottom of your breast, squeeze your breast from the sides etc see if anything comes out. the first time maybe quite painful, but it helps declot your duct. Sometimes gravity pulls your milk to the bottom of your breast and your pump can't get it out so you need to push it. Also sometimes you actually got milk but the duct is very small so the stream is very thin and you cant see it, and takes forever to pump because it is just too thin (and slow) - squeezing can help project the thin stream so you can see it if u use a torch or something. This is v time consuming and tiring but it ensures you empty your breasts all the time. Also pumping every 2 hours (e.g 1pm, 3pm, 5pm) for a few days even if nothing comes out (try as long as possible tho), and also power pumping once a day. I had no milk for the first few days, got to 2-3ml in the 2nd week and now sometimes more than 50ml per side doing this for 4 weeks. You can try see if it works for you?

Read more
7mo ago

Thank you for the detailed response. I will give it a try. Because i keep latching LO as i hardly have time to pump since im taking care of her alone while hubby is working. Or sometimes she just wants to cling to me. And its hard to find time to pump as she naps very short in the day. And i only have night time to pump or a period where she manage to stretch her sleep time. She just turn 2 months and i hope i can get more time to pump now. And i hope she has been consuming enough milk because sometime she seem to be agitated while brrastfeeding, making me think theres no more milk for her to suck.

Hey mama, 2 months old is such an adorable stage and more alert time for interactions. Pumping is not the gauge of how much breastmilk supply a mum has, especially direct latching mums. We are human and the hormones is difference when breastfeeding our baby vs pumping. How much your baby peeped and pooped in a day? Baby's outputs and the weight gain actually are the better indicators. Another simple ways to increase the breastmilk supply will be doing a quick 5 minutes hand expression for each boob after each breastfeeding during the daytime, or squeeze in a few hand expression sessions that's manageable in a day after breastfeeding. You will likely to see the changes in about 48 hours. Is your breastfeeding positions comfortable for you and allows you to engage with your baby? Baby loves to look at beautiful mama during breastfeeding.

Read more

Take a lot of water, fenugreek supplement can help too. Most importantly remember to have enough sleep and rest. If too stressed, not well rested enough, it can make your supply dip even though you’re very hard working in pumping. Sometimes the better way is to prioritize rest and sleep more than pumping frequencies. Especially if you’re also latching - latching suction is actually much more powerful and effective than any form of pumping.

Read more

Try increasing your intake of water. I also had oatmeal for breakfast, and power pumping once a day for a few days.

TapFluencer

🙏💕