Any preventive/ evidence based advice for and against the optimal visual development in childhood (eg lutein, screen time, eye exercise)?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Lutein is primarily found in green leafy vegetables, like kale and spinach. Other healthy options include Swiss chard, collard greens, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts. Studies have shown that lutein, along with zeaxanthin, are both important nutrients for eye health. Both these carotenes of are found in high concentrations in your macula, which is the small central part of your retina responsible for detailed central vision. Like beta carotenes, I strongly believe that a healthy diet consisting of the right nutrients will contribute to the development of good eye health. As for screen time and eye exercises, I reckon there is some truth to them. It is very difficult to limit screen time in this day and age but we can take short breaks from staring at computers to let our eyes relax and rest. When we focus on things that are too close for too long, our eye muscles get stressed that I suppose this will contribute to degenerating eye health in the long run.

Read more

During his session, Dr Wu heavily emphasized on good eye habits, such as reading at a healthy distance (40-45 cm), looking at a screen for no more than 30 minutes at a time, in moderation. He did highly recommend bringing your child outdoors, as there are studies that prove that an adequate of sunlight exposure can indeed slow myopia down - greenery does help with the power of the eyes.

Read more