Scoliosis and pregnancy pain

Hi, any pregnant mums with scoliosis and having very bad pain on your back and shoulders? :( I have mild scoliosis with an S-curve spine. Before pregnancy, I occasionally has sharp pain on my left shoulder and ache on my right upper back. I believe it is from the curve to the right that pulls the muscles/nerves on the left. I’m at 21 weeks now and for the past 2 weeks, the pain has become very bad especially at night, to the point where I cannot sleep at all. Tried massaging, putting medicated plasters, putting heat packs, taking Panadol, doing stretching, etc. but the pain is still there constantly. I feel so frustrated, tired and helpless I have cried for many nights.. and I’m only midway through my pregnancy. I cannot imagine if I have to bear with this pain for another 4 months. Does anyone share a similar experience and found what helps? Or have any advice on what can relieve my pain? :’(

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I have very bad scoliosis as well before I was pregnant and after I was pregnant my back ache started at very early stages at a point I couldn't move anymore when I went NUH they said its normal however when I went KKH I was referred to physio and to my surprise they said scoliosis does not cause pain hahahahahaha. but yes I'm still suffering with the pain till the nerve pulls it down till my foot I just try stretching or turning around ntg actually help

Read more
4mo ago

hello! oh dear that sounds really bad how often do you visit your chiropractor? I currently do prenatal massages to cope with those pain but it only helps me for about max 1 week and then back to the same aching.

I’ve scoliosis and had to wear brace to support during my secondary school days. I also had a really bad backache starting in Week 20 and can’t sit stand or lie down comfortably.. :( tried pre natal massage and it didn’t help much.. my friend recommended a chiropractor that to me and I feel that it does help!! At Week 25 now, at least I can function better than I was in Week 20-21. Ps, I heard medicated plaster are not safe during pregnancy..

Read more
12mo ago

Oh dear.. I have been using medicated plasters 😖

Do u wear brace? It does help w posture. And also what did gyane suggest.

12mo ago

Yes I wear my back brace in the day but the pain is still there even though it does support better with the brace. It’s usually worst at night and I can’t wear the brace to sleep. Gynae said she can’t do much because it’s scoliosis. Only suggested Panadol and massages, which I have tried :(