Jaundice in newborn 3 weeks old

Hi all, #pleasehelp #advicepls I recently gave birth to my third child. Been going back and forth to poly for her jaundice. It’s definitely gone down over the weeks just that it’s a little slow. Last check by blood test yesterday was 162. Two weeks ago it was 216 by skin test. I skipped going for awhile because of other commitments so only followed up yesterday and baby was at 26 days. Based on the results, the doctor said will need to come back tomorrow to do 2 blood tests. Jaundice and liver test, to check if its a liver problem. She’s basically doing good. Feeding, peeing and pooping well. Apart from her jaundice, I don’t find any other symptoms relating to liver problem. I’m just feeling so distraught right now because the doctor mentioned having to go to hospital for further testing etc. which is so heartbreaking because, who loves to see their baby gets poked for blood so many times right? I would really love to hear if anyone has any similar experiences whereby it wasn’t liver issues but just prolonged jaundice? I am fully feeding breastmilk by bottle so I can monitor how much she drinks. I would only continue direct latching once we clear her jaundice. I need assurances because I got so emotional to hear of the possibility that my child could have liver problems and would need to undergo surgery. Btw I have tried traditional methods like suntanning, yellow flower bath etc. and still doing so till date. Appreciate any responses!

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As long as the numbers are going down should be fine! My baby had jaundice passed 30 days. Polyclinic referred me back to hospital to get baby's liver checked. She had so many blood tests done just within those few weeks. In the end all was well. Doctor said may be due to "breastmilk jaundice" which just causes prolonged jaundice in babies. I just made sure to feed my baby every 3 hours. After the doctor cleared her of jaundice (when she was 1.5 months), I fed her on demand.

Read more
3y ago

Thank you for your assurance! My last checkup the numbers went up slightly (162 > 168) however the liver test showed that its not indicating a liver problem. I have to come back tomorrow to test again. May I know how many times you had to go back and forth to hospital?