My newborn boy has a tongue tie. Anyone had any experience with getting it clipped?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Frenotomy is a procedure that involves having the frenulum snipped to rectify the tongue-tied condition. It is a minor surgical procedure but could still be traumatizing for an infant (and of course, the parents). Potential complications would include ulcers under the tongue, bleeding, infection or damage to the tongue and salivary ducts. If I’m not mistaken, there are some breastfeeding positions and some exercises that could help mobilize the baby’s tongue and improve tongue mobility. These could be tried in place of performing the surgery. Typically, for mild cases where feeding is not affected, and if baby’s tongue could reach his/her teeth (quite likely that speech development would not be impeded), surgery is probably not necessary. I think it is best to bring your baby to your doctor or lactation consultant for their assessment and professional input.

Read more

A colleague at work mentioned that her daughter's lingual frenectomy was a success. Her daughter is 3 now and there are no side effects to it. According to her, the procedure did not take long at all. Baby will be swaddled and the tongue is gently lifted up using fingers or a special instrument, afterwhich the frenulum (the thin skin under the tongue) is then quickly snipped with sterile scissors. The tongue is then again gently lifted to ensure the frenulum has been completely clipped. Whole procedure takes less than 15 seconds and no anesthesia is needed. Baby can breastfeed immediately after the procedure. Think she had it done at one of the hospitals but you can approach the dentist for more information too.

Read more

Best to go to a properly board certified lactation consultan to see if it needs to get clipped. Talk to Ginny Phang at a company for women. She's dealt with this many times. http://acompanyforwomen.com.sg

VIP Member

Both my girls had theirs snipped, one with sterile scissors and the other with laser, both by dental surgeons. It's best to do it as young as possible as it's very easy and they don't remember anything.