My husband is being asked to work in Japan for a year and was given the option to bring the family along. However, my girl has just settled in her new school and I am currently working also and in a dilemma if we should follow him there. What would you advice me if you are in such situation?

35 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

At my old job, we get posted overseas every now and then (2 years each time) and I see my colleagues who are parents go through the dilemma of having to choose to go alone or uproot the whole family. If the station they are posted to is relatively close, most of the times they go alone. They will also consider safety, stability and accessibility of the destination. But if it's far away (more than 3 hours by plane), chances are they will bring the family along. Thankfully, these kinds of destinations are kid-friendly (safe, clean, great international schools available). Companies sometimes offer compensation for working spouses of those who are being posted overseas. Perhaps you can ask your husband if this option is available if the no-pay leave option is not. As for your child, the mommy above is right, young kids adjust better to new environments, better than most adults. Studies have shown that children who have lived abroad grow up to be more adaptable, culturally aware and much more independent.

Read more