My girl is entering Primary 1 next year. What should I do to get her ready?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I agree with Diana. As early as now, you can start mentioning school-related stuff. Let her watch educational shows or videos. You may want to have a routine of activities as well which can enhance her cognitive, emotional and social skills. Teaching her independence as part of preparation for school is also a must. You can do this by simply letting her go to the comfort room alone for instance when they need to pee and wash their hands (but always be on the lookout without her knowing). You must also do activities that can fine tune her sense, especially hearing for the story telling, dictation or spelling activities in school. You can start this one letter a day. Show her different photos of things that start with letter A (e.g Aunt, Ant) as well as words that sound alike (e.g knight, night). This link might also help: http://www.healthline.com/health/parenting/kindergarten-readiness#2

Read more

You can bring her to visit the school during open house. Get her to involve in things such as buying school bag, stationaries, text books and etc. In addition, you can get neighbor or friend's kid to talk about what is primary school life about so your daugther can get to expect what will be happening in school. Do talk to her about there will be more formal homework and should be more serious in primary school compared to preschool. However, do give her confident that she will fit in future school well.

Read more

thanks