My daughter turning 4, will tell tales & lies. Anybody can advise?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, I encounter occasions where my daugther tells lies too. She is 5.5 years old now. At preschooler age, actually the reasons for them to tell lies include worry of getting scolded, want to appear good in front of friends or parents and etc. When a kid tells lies, please do not scold him/her instead of explaining why telling lies is not acceptable. Scolding will only make the situation worse as the kid will tell more lies to cover previous lies. What I do when I find my daugther telling lies (she did it more often when she was about 4 years old too) I will ask her: is it real or just pretend? She will normally answer me just pretend. After few times, she knows it is not acceptable to tell lies or fake story to me and friend and nowadays she is not doing it often anymore.

Read more

I think when kids tell lies, it's a mixture of being afraid of telling the truth because they fear the consequences and also, an overactive imagination. I'd explain to the child that telling a lie is a tiring thing and worth her time. Once you start a lie, you need another lie to cover up the previous lie, so on, so on and at the end of the day, she will still get into trouble. If her lies are more about the imagination (like me when I was a child), I'd do what my mom did -- send me to a creative writing class. I channeled all my imagination into my stories and I honestly enjoyed it. I think my love of writing stemmed from that as well haha.

Read more