My daughter just turned 8 month and my hair started dropping..at a rate that I think I will become botak soon. Any cure for hair loss after pregnancy?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Don't worry, it's perfectly normal. You won't go bald, the hair should grow back by the time your baby turns 1. Normally, about 85 to 95 percent of the hair on your head is growing and the other 5 to 15 percent is in a resting stage. After the resting period, this hair falls out — often while you're brushing or shampooing it — and is replaced by new growth. An average woman sheds about 100 hairs a day. During pregnancy, increased levels of estrogen prolong the growing stage. There are fewer hairs in the resting stage and fewer falling out each day, so you have thicker, more luxuriant tresses. After you give birth, your estrogen levels take a tumble and a lot more hair follicles enter the resting stage. Soon you'll have more hair coming out in the shower or on the brush. This unusual shedding will taper off and your hair will be back to its pre-pregnancy thickness about six to 12 months after you give birth. You won't be able to stop the hair from falling out, but you can experiment with different hairstyles or products (such as hair thickeners or mousse) to give your hair a fuller look during this trasition period.

Read more

Like what Wendy said, it's nothing permanent for you to worry about as it's just your body adjusting its hormones back. My hair was dropping at a crazy rate when my son was about 4+ months. Each time I took a shower, I get so depressed when I see clumps of hair at the drain. It bothered me so much that I bought Phyto Shampoo (at Watsons). It helped, and my hair didn't drop as much. I've since switched back to regular shampoo and conditioner that I normally use.

Read more
VIP Member

You're lucky. My friends with 3 month old babies have already started to experience hair loss. This is the time to go for that short, spunky do. You may also try out some hair products which may make your hair look more voluminous. Unfortunately, there's no stopping nature... http://www.babycenter.com/0_postpartum-hair-loss_11721.bc

Read more
Post reply image

It is very usual to have hair loss after delivery. It will get better after some time. Just make sure to have a balanced diet and good sleep

thanks