My 5 months old boy weighs about 6.5kg. My mum said he's kinda small. He was born 3.82kg. He's breastfed exclusively & started on Frisocrem once per day. I'm not worried because he's active, alert & happy. Just that, is he really small? Please share your baby's weight & also if they are breastfed exclusively or have started eating.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

At the previous 5 month old checkup my baby was 7.2kg and born at 3.375kg. She started on solids not long ago for 1 meal every day, all other meals are breastmilk. If the PD has not raised a red flag on your child's weight gain or development I don't think you should be worried. All babies grow at different rates. They may put on weight at different rates and it's ok, as long as they're not losing weight. They should also not be fluctuating on the percentile chart. For example my baby was born with weight, length and head circumference on 90th percentile, but after 1 month she dropped to slightly above 75th percentile and remained there since. So the nurse mentioned that as long all of her measurements are consistent there's no cause for worry. If she has an excessively big head and a super small body then probably something is wrong. Don't worry about what your mum says. In the olden days, old people loved to compare baby's fatness as their report card. Whosoever had a fatter baby would mean they were more well taken care of. You may wish to highlight your concerns to your doctor on next visit and see what he/she says.

Read more
VIP Member

My baby is 2 months old and she is fully breastfed. At her last check up, she was 90th percentile for weight. She is well over 5kg, nearing 6kg. I wouldn't worry about percentiles unless the doctor has determined that he is malnourished. As long as your baby is healthy and active, that's all that matters. Kids come in all shapes and sizes.

Read more

thanks