Newborn always crying and wants to latch

Hi Mummies, I am a first time mum here and I am looking for advise on breastfeeding as I am really confused and worried on what to do. My baby is 12 days old now and recently I have noticed that he cries a lot even after latching. It seems like he always wants to latch. Right after latching he shows latching cues again. In one sitting he latches for approximately 45 mins. I am super confused and worried on what could be the reason here. Family is suggesting that I introduce bottle as he latches for too long very frequently but I don’t want to as I feel that he won’t latch then. Any mummies who experienced this ? What shall I do ? I am feeling sad that even after frequent latching it seems that baby is hungry that is why he cries. Please help mummies 🙏 #advicepls #firsttimemom

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm experiencing something similar with my 2 week old. I read that it's called cluster feeding where the bb is trying to help increase the milk supply, and bb might be going through a growth spurt. though he doesn't latch that long. more like he needs to drink every 45 mins interval. if you are latching for 45 mins, could it be bb falling asleep while drinking?

Read more
1y ago

but then again could be our milk flow speeds are different. I think you can gauge by seeing how long you take to pump each side? then compare with how long bb latches. when I was still in the hospital, bb latched for 2 hours, and the nurse told me it was too much lol so if he always falls asleep latching, just stroke his cheek to make him continue. hang in there! I'm a first timer too, I'm sure we will figure things out. :)