Newborn always crying and wants to latch

Hi Mummies, I am a first time mum here and I am looking for advise on breastfeeding as I am really confused and worried on what to do. My baby is 12 days old now and recently I have noticed that he cries a lot even after latching. It seems like he always wants to latch. Right after latching he shows latching cues again. In one sitting he latches for approximately 45 mins. I am super confused and worried on what could be the reason here. Family is suggesting that I introduce bottle as he latches for too long very frequently but I don’t want to as I feel that he won’t latch then. Any mummies who experienced this ? What shall I do ? I am feeling sad that even after frequent latching it seems that baby is hungry that is why he cries. Please help mummies 🙏 #advicepls #firsttimemom

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It might be because he’s not getting enough milk from your breast. You can consider pumping after latching to increase your supply. Anything after 15-20 mins on the boobs is considered as comfort latching and he’s not feeding already. In short, human pacifier. If you’re latching for 45mins long each time and he keeps showing latching cues, you basically don’t need to do anything else apart from latching 24/7. Will you be going back to work after ML or will you be a SAHM till he’s ready to wean? If you’re intending to go back to work, I’d suggest introducing bottle while latching. Start with the slowest flow teat. Even after you start work, the caregiver can still bottle feed them while you latch baby before and after work/before sleep. I personally stopped latching (my monster grew teeth and used me as teether) and give full EBM for my sanity. That way I don’t have to keep waking up to latch and my husband can also help with night feedings. Also, I can track my baby’s intake and they can sleep longer. I would rather have a full baby. 😊 Happy baby, happy mummy.

Read more