Newborn always crying and wants to latch

Hi Mummies, I am a first time mum here and I am looking for advise on breastfeeding as I am really confused and worried on what to do. My baby is 12 days old now and recently I have noticed that he cries a lot even after latching. It seems like he always wants to latch. Right after latching he shows latching cues again. In one sitting he latches for approximately 45 mins. I am super confused and worried on what could be the reason here. Family is suggesting that I introduce bottle as he latches for too long very frequently but I don’t want to as I feel that he won’t latch then. Any mummies who experienced this ? What shall I do ? I am feeling sad that even after frequent latching it seems that baby is hungry that is why he cries. Please help mummies 🙏 #advicepls #firsttimemom

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My first born was a girl and loves to latch. So I introduce bottle fed when needed. Why? FM makes them full as compared to BM eventhough they latch pretty long. It can also be that they have stomach upset hence the whine and grunting. And at this modern era, we have brands that has bottle teats that replicates mum's nipple. The only reason they loves to have BM direct latch because of mum's smell, bonding that's all. Baby wont be confused between bottle teats and mum's nipple. They will get use to it. If you don't start to introduce bottle feeding whenever needed, you will have difficulty to wean off when the time comes and it will take months, years. Having said that your nipple need rest too, you can't let them latch too long or your nipple will be blister. You can also do express milk meaning to pump and bottle fed, you may perhaps see changes in the feeding period. Alternatively, last option to have soothe (pacifier) to let them suck on it when needed. Hope this small tips help.

Read more