Supplements

Hello Mummies! I'm in my first trimester, and I've been taking my folic acids daily. Just curious, should I be taking any other supplements? Or any superfoods recommended? Thank you!❤

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

For first trimester, folic acid is a must (until week 12). My gynec also prescribed me fish oil n Obimin multivitamins but asked me to start them only from week 12. Not sure if any particular reason for that. Additionally I took Blackmore's and CalVit D3 supplement. Blackmore's I only took in first trimester. CalVit still taking. I don't drink milk. That's why started calcium supplements early. But please check with your gynec first before you take any supplements. I saw few posts on this app that some mommies who took fish oil and multivitamins in first trimester had miscarriages. Could just be coincidence. But better to be safe. So please check with your gynec too. You know your diet best. If you are someone who eats everything (not a picky eater like me) that can give you all necessary nutrition, then it's best to relay on natural foods than supplements. Atleast for the first trimester. In my case I don't take milk, don't eat fish or seafood, don't eat too much leafy veggies, I only eat chicken and egg but in very less quantity. So my husband was worried I won't be getting enough nutrients from food 😀

Read more

suggest to ask the gynea first. sometimes too much may not be good. on the other side what I do know gynea maybe giving you the minimum nutrition that is needed for both you and baby. one note for you would be over consume of herbal nutrition will cause your labor to be difficult. due to baby being very heavy. may end up that you need to c-sec. good luck and have fun. for fish oil is more like baby brain food. so you can ask doctor if you have certain brands which interest you. because some may have high mercury. which are no good for baby development.

Read more

Always, always best to seek your gynae's advice beforehand if you wish to top up with any supplements. Every pregnant mums has different supplements based on their health needs.

3y ago

that's true! my first gynae checkup is only in 3 weeks time. Will check with her:) Thank you!

My gynae prescribe me prenatal vit inclusive of Folic Acid in it. Then also he issue me Fish Oil and calcium and iron tablets.

3y ago

ahhh nice thank you!

VIP Member

Prenatal multivitamins would be good too!

3y ago

I've been using Obimin throughout! For my 1st pregnancy it was what was prescribed. My 2nd, I showed the doc Rainbow Light Prenatal that I bought from iHerb and she looked through the ingredients and okayed it. I also add on fish oil tablets. Again, prescribed during 1st pregnancy, GNC brand. This time I ordered Now Foods DHA 500. Cheaper and doc also said okay. Check with your doc on any supplements :) some are not needed