5w5d but only see gestational sac, no yolk, no heartbeat yet

Hi mummies, I'm at 5w5d and I've got brown spotting this morning. So I went in to my gynae's, and he did the intravaginal scan for me. What we saw is the gestational sac, but no yolk and no heartbeat detected. Doctor did prescribe me Duphaston, and told me that's the max he can do, and we can only leave it to fate for the next 2 weeks. I know there's so much we can do, but wondering if other mummies out there experienced the same situation and went on to have healthy pregnancies after? Any hope to share for my case? Worried mum #pleasehelp #advicepls #pregnancy

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hi there! I went in for my first check up at what i thought was week 5 based on my LMP but the doctor couldn't find anything except a very small dot which he couldn't really tell for sure. He too prescribed me with duphaston and asked me to come back 2 weeks later for a rescan. Needless to say that 2 weeks felt very long as I was constantly worried.. I also had cramps which make me think that it could be ectopic that's any it wasn't detected clearly in the uterus. Went back 2 weeks later and I could hear and see the heartbeat! the scan dated 6weeks 2 days so I might have been a bit off from what I thought I was 5 weeks initially. Try not to worry, things will be okay!!! Sending you positive vibes!! :)

Read more
2y ago

thank you very much for sharing your story! hoping I'm like that too!🙏🏻

First visit, according to my last period should be at 5-6 weeks, could see the sac and was on progesterone for 2 weeks, today went back for another review, couldn’t see anything on the normal ultrasound but could see the tiny dot and hear it’s heart beat using the intravaginal ultrasound. So we need to re adjust the whole calculation and I’m back to week 6 thinking it should be week 8. But I’ll need to go back in another 2 weeks to make sure things is moving forward. On a side note the progesterone gives me bad dizzy spell and my blood pressure plunge to 90/55, but my doc says it’s fine 🤷🏻‍♀️

Read more
2y ago

thank you for the kind response and encouragement! yes I'm also on a similar medication and it's giving me slight headaches and drowsiness too. hoping that it's also a wrong calculation on my part and that I'll see more development in 2 weeks!🙏🏻

hi there, i experienced the same thing. Did a transvaginal scan, and could barely see anything, it was pretty much a dot on the screen. i was given progesterone too and now months later, im in my 28th week. Dont worry too much although i know you still will haha, cos i did too. You cant do anything at this point so leave it to the good hands of fate and rest alot!

Read more
2y ago

thank you for your kind words! I will!🙏🏻

in my week 5, I have the same issue too. doc immediately take my blood to check if there is hcg. After knowing the hcg is high, next day when for detail scanning. luckily managed to see the yolk. given progesterone pill and 2 weeks later can see heartbeat. now in my week 13. so don't worry, try to relax

Read more
2y ago

thank you so much for sharing your story!

i just saw another mummy asking similar qn but she’s 4 weeks along. brown spotting is normal. 5 weeks is indeed too early to see anything on ultrasound, only gestational sac. 6 weeks is better to see yolk sac and 9 weeks to hear heartbeat. totally normal. my baby is healthy 3 month old now

2y ago

thank you for the kind assurance 🙏🏻. it means so much to me! blessings to you and your family!

I too experienced the same around 5 weeks. Had another scan a week later and then saw the yolk sac and heart beat as well. I’m on my 29th week now. I know how it feels like with all the uncertainty. Don’t worry too much. Stay positive.

2y ago

thank you for the kind encouragement! feel more relieved now!🙏🏻

hello! don worry too much hehee. i was prescribed duphaston during week 4 as i started spotting all the way. i only managed to see baby heartbeat on week 6 day 6 before that is just the sac ☺️ rest well!

2y ago

thank you so much for the hopeful encouragement! ☺️

VIP Member

my 1st was like this. missed miscarriage for me.

2y ago

thank you for the encouragement!