congenital hypothyroidism

Hi mummies, does any mummies experience with baby with congenital hypothyroidism. Is it baby needs to take life long medicine?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

as long as baby is taking the correct dosage, baby will be just like any other kids except that our child have to go for more follow up checks for blood test. my son is born with congenital hypothyroid (no family history of thyroid) and he is 18 months old and growing well and healthy :) stay strong mama. hugs and sending u lotsa love over.

Read more
3y ago

prev when i was bf , after i crush the levo i put it in a syringe and let baby drink it. but after that i change it to bottle so u see which method suits u more🤗

hello there, yes baby will need to be on life long medicine however it depends on the placement of the thyroid. if the thyroid is at the neck and is not producing enough, endocrinologist may remove the levothyroxine when they are 4 to 5 years old to see if their body is able to generate enough thyroid to assist the kid's growth.

Read more

I have heard most of kids with it need to keep taking medicine throughout the life to control hormone levels.