Decrease in smell

Hi mummies! Am currently in week 12, almost to the 13th week. The app shows that my smell will be increasing and more sensitive to surroundings. Which I have been expediting making me gag even more 😭 When does the smell slowly go down? Do mummies experience lesser (stronger) smells in the 2nd trimester? Been so tired holding my breath and gagging all the time 😭 help a mummy out! #advicepls #firstbaby #pregnancy #worryingmom

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It gets better over time. I couldn’t smell a lot of things for both my pregnancies. It was really hard. I always have a small bottle of ointment with me wherever I go. Sometimes MS will last throughout the whole pregnancy. Sometimes only in 1st trimester. My current pregnancy MS lasted 4-5 months. I’m now 5 going 6 months.

Read more
2y ago

It’s perfectly normal! Hahaha but at times do give yourself a boost like a haircut or a shave. Put on some lip/cheek tint when you’re out if you’re the kind that doesn’t wear make up (like me). It’ll help with the mood a bit. Lol. Buy your fav snack and eat, drink a glass of cold ice tea, go window shopping, start looking up for baby items to buy, whatever that rocks your socks girl! 😊

I’m at 7 weeks and have been extremely sensitive to smells especially mall toilets’ air refreshers & couldn’t stop gagging everytime I visit a public toilet :(

2y ago

Oh dear, I am 13 weeks and still sensitive! I hate malls when I was in my 5 weeks and in between. If you can, stay away from the strong smells!

Hope the morning sickness goes away soon. Mine comes and goes and I think sometimes it’s psychological? Think positive 💪🏻💪🏻

unfortunately you can do nothing much about it .. for me it got better when i was 13weeks pregnant .. hopefully yours gets better soon x

2y ago

Ah I see.. I can relate to that. I am eating more variations now, but not so much with the smell yet. I also hold my breath when going to the kitchen! Couldn’t take it. Hopefully it gets better for the both of us soon, so we can smell normally and eat!

It will get better at 2nd trimester. I try to avoid perfumes or anything that can be overwhelming for the mean time.

2y ago

Hopefully so! So far all the smells around makes me gag even the house smells weird. 🥲😭

I'm still having heighten sense of smell 9mth post partum

should go down by 6months.

2y ago

Hopefully so! Can’t wait for this phase to end already! 😭

*experiencing