8 week old sleeps a lot

Hi mummies! My baby girl is 8 weeks old today and I am wondering if she’s sleeping too much! Currently she wakes up every 3 hours to feed and is always very on time. She has at least 8 wet diapers and poops at least 2-3 times a day. However, she isn’t able to stay awake for long, often sleeps right after her feed. Many times she can’t even stay awake to burp, but will start fussing maybe 1 hour in to her nap due to reflux / gas. We hold her upright for at least 30-45 minutes even though she’s asleep. Is this normal? Do they still sleep so much at 8 weeks old? How do you squeeze in tummy time or activity time with barely any wake windows? Thank you!

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hello fellow mommy, it is a good thing that your baby girl is napping well & on time for milk~ for reflux, try to put your baby in a 45 degree position at least 15mins (when carrying) before laying her flat down for her nap. As for gas... no choice (sigh) have to do exercise for them everyday. my dear boy who is also 8 weeks old today, fights sleep and takes us 0.5-1hr to put him to sleep. sometimes our back hurts soooo much from 'bouncing' him. 😭

Read more

NB does sleep a lot. As long as the baby wakes up on time for milk, consistent wet diaper/poo that's good. For reflux wise that happened because baby sucked too much air or didn't burp well. Therefore the reflux. Too early to do tummy time. Until about 2 months onwards. Subject to individual babies as they have yet to learn to lift up their head. And they are still trying to learn to strengthen their neck muscles.

Read more