Flaky scalp

Hello mummies. My baby is 12 weeks old. About a week ago, I noticed that my LO scalp is dry and flaky. Its not cradle cap. It looks like dandruff to me as it is white in colour. It covers the whole top part of her head. Baby sleep In aircon room. I applied olive oil once a day. Currently using babyganics shampoo + body wash. Been using this brand since birth. Not sure if it's due to this brand. Kindly share any remedies or tips on how to care for the condition above. Or is it related to my diet that is causing baby to have such condition. I'm just feeling the stress / helplessness coz it makes me seem like I failed as a mum. Thank you so much. #FTM

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hi momma, dont worry you're not alone. Does it seem like its itching? if so,  dandruff is also a type of infantile seborrheic dermatitis. Unlike the more common appearance of cradle cap, dandruff is white, dry, and sometimes itchy. Dandruff may be genetic. If you have dry skin, your baby could have dry skin, too. Overwashing your baby’s skin doesn’t cause dandruff. But if your baby has this condition, you may want to shampoo their scalp less frequently. Wash every other day instead of every day to prevent dryness from getting worse. Make sure to rinse thoroughly, as residual shampoo can contribute to baby dandruff. Baby dry scalp treatment is fairly simple. Simply wash your baby's hair two to three times per week with a gentle baby shampoo and brush his or her hair with a soft baby brush. Cold weather and low humidity can also worsen dandruff. Allergies can also cause your baby to have a dry scalp, though this is less common. If the dry scalp is accompanied by a red, itchy rash, allergies may be the cause. See your baby's PD for reassurance.

Read more