Subsidized or Private

Hi mommas I'm currently 17 weeks and is reading a lot on the cost of giving birth, just to prepare more.. Can anyone share with me what are the pros and cons of private or subsidized. Really curious and would like to consider my options properly. #FTM #pleasehelp

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I’m assuming you are comparing govt. hospital Private: - more costly (almost comparable to a private clinic outside. But of course hospital fee is still cheaper in govt hospital) - can pick your gynae. Some gynaes are nice enough to give you their private contact so you can reach out to them when you have urgent questions/requires immediate advice - (sometimes) shorter waiting time Public: - Cheaper (almost by half) - you get different gynaes at every visit - (sometimes) longer waiting time Most of my friends choose to go private closer to 3rd trimester because they want a specific gynae for childbirth. Most of the expensive tests/vaccines should already be done by end of 2nd trimester so if cost is a big factor, will suggest staying as subsidised patient till then.

Read more

The upside of going private clinics is you can choose your own obgyn throughout your prenatal appts till delivery. However in the event of any complications, private clinics are generally not equipped to support and they will redirect all emergency cases to KKH, of which you will most likely have to pay KKH private rates as a private patient because you didn't start off with public rates. Alternatively one can still pick KKH private in their third tri too.

Read more

The main difference is being able to have the same gynae/obgyn throughout your prenatal appointments and having him/her deliver your baby (unless in almost-rare circumstance when he/she is unable to arrive on time and the on-call doc will do it) when you’re a private patient. As a subsidised patient, you’re not able to choose your doc but the fees are heavily subsidised, at least half of what private patients pay for. Have a healthy pregnancy mommy!

Read more