Spotting 10 days till Week 5

I’ve had light dry brown spotting 4 days before my period was due. I tested positive the day my period was supposed to come. Brown Spotting continued daily till today (10 days since first spotting). I went to A&E today to have it checked out, embryo with yolk sac could be seen within the uterus (hence ruled out ectopic pregnancy). Did a blood test and will redo again in 2 days to check if hCg doubles. I wonder if it’s normal to have brown spotting (no fresh blood streaks), doctor said it’s unusual to have implantation bleeding this long. Appreciate if anyone can share some experiences? Thank you in advance. #advicepls #pleasehelp #firstbaby

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I personally know of women who spot/bleed throughout their pregnancies and are classified as unexplained bleeding but go on to birth healthy babies if this makes you feel better. It could be hormonal and difficult even for medical professionals to pinpoint the exact reason why one is bleeding, unfortunately 😔 I’d advice you to take bed rest whenever possible and also, request for duphaston (oral progesterone) pills from your gynae to stabilise your pregnancy. My own personal experience with spotting lasted from weeks 7 to 17 and it was due to cervical polyps. After my gynae removed the polyps, my spotting stopped entirely and I am currently in week 27 of my pregnancy. You might want to ask your gynae to check for polyps to rule that out.

Read more
2y ago

Thank you for sharing your experience! ◡̈

I had brown spotting during my first trimester too. Gynae said no issues after doing all the necessary checks and my friend told me prolly was all the “old blood” being expelled from my body too. Everything progressed smoothly and fast forward to today, I’ll be delivering next month. So don’t worry too much! Week 5 is still pretty early on, as some commented here as long as no fresh blood accompanied by cramps, it’s ok! By week 8, u will be able to hear your bb’s heartbeat alr, relax in the meanwhile and keep ur everyday duties light!

Read more
2y ago

Np and thank you! I wish you the same as well, a smooth and easy pregnancy! :)

I had spotting similar to yours all the way in my first trimester. Then when I hit my second trimester, it stopped completely. I am now in week 32 of my pregnancy and my baby has been growing happy and healthily. I’d say take the necessary precautions and checks from your gynae but also don’t worry or read up too much about it because curiousity and anxiety kills the cat! If you don’t have any fresh blood or cramps, you’re generally fine!

Read more
2y ago

Yes yes, thank you for sharing! I’m really new to this, and friends around me somehow didn’t experience any of these. Hence, I got slightly concerned. I’m thankful for this community ◡̈

*Update: Did the 2nd blood test, there was an optimal rise in my HCG. Doctor said implantation bleeding may still be ongoing, nothing to worry. Appreciate those who shared your experiences, and hope this will come in useful for anyone who experience the same symptoms. All the best everyone!

Same here, had some prolonged spotting in first trimester and I had a small clot which resolved on its own by second trimester. You should be ok, don’t worry too much!

2y ago

Appreciate your sharing, sister! 🙌🏻

can i check how much they charge for such a&e visit and how long did you have to wait?

2y ago

I paid $267 all in all for scan and a blood test. I was lucky I didn’t have to wait long as I was the only one in the clinic at that time. Around 3-3.30pm. Afterwards there were about 4-5 other patients who walked in.

it was normal for me, cos i had polyp. baby now born healthy

2y ago

Thank you for sharing your experience!