Are there any disadvantages of not to letting baby have a pacifier? Like affect their brain development?

30 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

From what my view, if baby like a pacifier to self soothe & stops them from crying, why not give them? If they cries for a long period of time, it really stress them out. Even for adults, being stressed up is not a good thing. As babies, they know they're feeling uncomfortable or what, that's why pacifier would give them comfort & helps them to feel better. If they are in a good mood, i am sure they will be happier in playing & exploring. From what i see from my son, he loves his pacifier but he is very fast & smart, he knows what he wants or don't want. I believe that he's actually faster in learning stuffs. Not the best, but still, not slow for his brain development. Yes you might need to worry about weaning them off the pacifier. But when they're ready, i am sure they will chuck it one side & not need it anymore. I hope my experience helps.

Read more

No disadvantage for me at all. In fact there were plenty of advantages; 1) one less thing to pack for Bub 2) one less thing to miss and blame yourself for prolonged baby cries 3) one less thing to pick from the floor 4) one less thing to wash 5) one less thing in the lost and found 6) one less thing for Bub to rely on 7) one less thing to buy And my Bub is healthy and not fussy at all. Not too sure why would it affect their brain development which I felt it was better for them to do without pacifier. Maybe you can share why your thoughts?

Read more

I grew up using a pacifier as a toddler. Infact my maternal side even my aunts,uncles and cousins had pacifiers.....a few till they were 5 years old :-) Everyone has turned out normal ;-) Its just a notion or superstition that pacifiers affect the brain development. Maybe front teeth come a little forward but then these milk teeth do fall off ! Pacifiers do help them "stress free" and some peace to mommies. They give them up in due course of time. My son is 4 and needs it to sleep only but pushes it out once asleep or I pull it out.

Read more

I haven't read anything about the pacifier having a negative effect on brain development. As most mummies here agree, if it sooths the child, then why not. Saves both of you the trouble and the stress. My toddler loves his pacifier and comes in handy when putting him to nap or when we're travelling. He is growing up fine and teeth are perfect too! As for my baby, she never likes pacifier and so far, she's able to sooth herself with some teething toys. They are both developing normally.

Read more

There's no negative affect if the baby doesn't have a pacifier. I never introduce my baby to a pacifier. The baby will adjust itself to whatever it's available. Most of babies will put things in their mouths, so we will see that babies like to have pacifiers or thumps in their mouths. If a pacifier can help them to sleep well or it can stop them from crying, then why not. But if you ask whether it's necessary, from my point of view i would say No!

Read more
VIP Member

Never heard of that before...only read articles/comments online that it probably may affect the growing of teeth or may affect the speech. I told my mum but she told me back..u also on pacifier till 5...see u also ok. Well..I think really depends on individual. I have a hard time weaning my #1 off pacifier. So #2 I never give and he is ok. Well really depends on the needs of each baby.

Read more

i think there can only be disadvantages of giving a pacifier, and not vice versa. no need to always carry it around and facing problems when you forget, and baby is already addicted. less chances of oral infection or issues. and definitely no need to go through the hassle of weaning off the pacifier!

Read more

Never hear of this nonsense. Pacifier also does not affect the teeth placement. U can research in it that the teeth spacing is genetically contributed base on how the gum line is arrange when a fetus. I grew up w pacifier and bite thru many. I went to uni, have double degrees and a masters

you can use pacifiers up till the age of 2 with no major issues. best not to use after 2 as advised by dentist. if i remember correctly it could affect brain development if over used after the age of 2. can't exactly recall details. anything used in moderation is fine :)

Read more

There are pros and cons to everything but I don't think there are any adverse effects on the brain and development with regards to pacifier use. I mean, lots of us used it growing up and we turned out fine right? And same goes to those who didn't use it :)