Comments on baby from in-laws

My in-laws made so much comments on baby when we first visited. Instead of fawning over their grandchild, or asking how are we coping with a newborn, or checking how is my recovery, they just freely commented on baby in front of baby and us things like "the skin so dark", "looks like tomboy", "so skinny", "hair so little" etc. As a new mum, their unnecessary and unkind remarks on my precious baby made me upset and I seriously fear more on the next visits. Any good advice on how we can politely let them know we do mind such comments? I love my baby deeply, I feel defensive to hear these yet helpless because I dunno how to react. *No, ignoring their words is not helpful advice, a real solution is preferred, otherwise this will just be a continuous cycle and worsen my anxiety and stress level each time we visit them* *Update: Many have advised to ignore. We did that, and just as I have expected, these comments continued every time we meet. 🙄

24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I would say: 1. Your comment really hurts my feelings 2. Well, that’s not v positive to say 3. I love my baby no matter what skin tone or how he/she looks like… 4. Show ur displeased face and say this (ur comments) really isnt helping me. Hang in there mummy. Ur feelings are valid.

Read more