In a group chat with a extended group of friends, a friend was happily chatting about hobbies. I teased her "why do you all have so much time? When I get home late, I get so busy w my kids already" And got chided by Another friend who thinks I'm insensitive to comment her time management! Was taken aback by that and I realized I am the only parent in the group chat. Was I insensitive? :( Did that happen to you before?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

perhaps you are not tactful enough? perhaps she is having a hard time and she try her best to have a hobby so that she can be more positive? we never know what the person is going thru so sometimes even jokes also will offend people... like my mum doesn't breastfeed. so when she sees me so tired coz i breastfeed every 2hrs & sleep immediately. she asks my husband why am i so tired? i just breastfeed & sleep everyday. my husband explains to her even i try to sleep as much as possible, i can only sleep max 2 hr straight hence i am so tired..

Read more

I'm sure you didn't mean it and your friends probably took the comment to heart, too hard. For the longest time, I was the only unmarried girl in a group of married mommy friends and I got comments about how I was so lucky to be free and have all the time to do whatever I want. I admit it used to bother me but real friends laugh these things off and let go. The street goes both ways -- I do give make fun of them for not having time to do fun stuff anymore, sometimes. Don't worry too much about it :)

Read more

I think that question of "why do you all have so much time" is ok in my context. I always used it anyway in my chatting with friends. It's true what..those can have time for their hobbies is truly a blessing and luxury if compared to those with small kids. For me, if she is sensitive, you can ignore. Nothing much you can do to undo what you have said. Real friends will not bother about this type of trivial issues. :)

Read more

I don't think u are being insensitive too... Sometimes we are just ranting with to just relief our stress.. I would think sometimes some ppl are more sensitive..

VIP Member

Nah, don't think you were being insenstive. But she may have read it wrong as it was a text chat and taken it out of context.