I'm tandem feeding my 3-month-old and 2-year-old. But I think my infant has oral thrush. Will my toddler get oral thrush if they nurse from the same breast?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

yes mom, if both the babies are feeding from the same breast, then chances of oral thrush spreading to the other baby are very high. please immediately visit your doctor and start using the ointment that they give. for the time being, you can also try to stop feeding directly from the breast and instead pump out the milk from the other breast. if possible, try to wean off your 2 year old now, maybe using the bottle will be a good way to do so. apply the cream after feeding (or pumping out) and cleaning the breast, then leave it on till the next time you have to feed or pump. clean it up before doing so. and continue the treatment till your doctor asks you to do, even if you think it is fine now.

Read more

Yes...your child can get it if they are taking feed from the same breast. Since, if is a yeast infection your other baby can get the infection as it will be left on your breast. There is gel that your doctor may prescribe tk be applied on your baby's mouth or if may dissappear on its own. Make sure you do not feed both babies from same side. Rest please consult the PD. Go through the link below for better know how. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179069.php

Read more

if one of the babies has oral thrush it can definitely pass on to the other if they nurse from the same breast, as it is a type of yeast infection. as Shruti also mentioned, the doctor will first examine the symptoms and then prescribe a gel or cream that you can apply on the affected area on your breast. you can do this after cleaning your breasts after each feed, and then clean it again before you feed baby.

Read more