What if I used pregnancy unsafe skincare products / cosmetics

I’m in the middle of 2nd trimester and it just dawned on me that I might have used some pregnancy-unsafe beauty products (contains supposedly unsafe ingredients) in normal amounts, within my usual routine eg chemical sunscreen and moisturisers which contained salicylic acids.. I was sticking to my skincare/make up routines from pre-pregnancy without much thought. My gynae didn’t warn me specifically about skincare routine (I understand it’s also impossible for them to detail everything), I’m not sure to what extent I should worry about the complications of my ignorance… Any mommies ever went through the same, used products without knowing that it may be harmful.. did it really affect the baby badly? Are there further checks needed to make sure baby is ok? Any pregnancy safe products you’ll recommend? #firsttimemom

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there :) I read up about these too, and while family planning I stopped chemical sunscreens and salicylate containing washes in case it affects fertility since I am 38 and it might be harder to conceive...I also tried to avoid paraben and phthalates..not just skincare but I also looked at household cleansing agents etc. My friend told me to stop using rosemary containing items as well as it may trigger contractions so I would err on the side of caution. I am also a first time mom...tbh I don't think there will be serious complications since they are topicals, but I would prefer to minimize usage of chemicals during pregnancy. :) Also try to avoid plastics or microplastics where possible .. just start somewhere and then slowly make adjustments :) As for topicals with drugs, as some mummies have pointed out, retinol or tretinoin should be avoided. a good replacement seems to be bakuchiol. You can try iherb, amazon.sg or the green collective for options. You may also want to check out Dr Yvonne Burkhart's posts on IG, or Dr Dray.. they are quite informative. :) For me I recently started using badger sunscreen or beauty by earth. It's abit thick for SG weather so I apply thinner and generally avoid excessive sun exposure. And I switched to grapeseed or camellia oil as a moisturizer. I just ordered mother love balm for stretch marks although I am just 6-7 weeks now... Dr Bronner's unscented Castile soap is good for household functions too. :) Basically trying my best to reduce chemical exposure for the baby, especially endocrine disruptors (parabens, phthalates, unknown fragrance blends, etc).

Read more
4mo ago

Thank you for sharing your know how and experiences!! Appreciate it fellow mommy-to-be. Wishing you a smooth pregnancy!

Hi◡̈ Most “pregnancy unsafe” skin care ingredients lack any real scientific testing and evidence, usually people just err on the side of caution and avoid it based on studies done as oral medication or on animals etc. However, absorption for topical application is very different. So don’t need to beat yourself up about it! If you are worried you can change up your routine now ◡̈ Like the ladies mentioned, retinol products usually have a bad rep (though again, the studies were done based on high strength oral medication). I will also add in to avoid Hydroquinone products. You can watch this video for a super in depth explanation if you’re interested! https://youtu.be/itEiwQFMTYE?si=F8uJHOMgu_qQOuqH

Read more
4mo ago

Thank you!! Yes some articles aren’t that clear on whether it’s specific to oral intake or topical application. Decided to just change out the routine where feasible :)

In today's bustling world, skincare products and cosmetics have become essential companions in our quest for beauty and self-care. Visit here https://www.pissedconsumer.com/company/better-not-younger/customer-service.html and learn more new ways about beauty products. From serums to foundations, the market is brimming with options tailored to every skin type and preference. Amidst this abundance, the true differentiator often lies in the quality of customer service. Brands like better not younger customer service prioritize not just product efficacy but also ensuring an exceptional customer experience, fostering trust and loyalty among beauty enthusiasts worldwide.

Read more

For sunscreen I used mineral sunscreens like bareminerals, supergoop. For moisturizer I used the Clinique 100H moisture surge. I used chemical sunscreen initially then stopped.

Just avoid retinol I brought this up to my gynae before and she said if the item is being sold OTC, they are not “harmful” enough for your pregnancy

Honestly i just use my normal skincare and make up thruout my pregnancy, baby still healthy and delivered 4 m ago. Just avoid retinol

is ok to use ur usual skincare, just make sure dont use any product that contain retinol! other than retinol the rest is fine :)