I'm a first timer (i'm 30, hubby 34) at my week 7 today. I went to see gynae today, and she asked me to do research and decide if I'll want to do OSCAR or NIPT next time. Is OSCAR sufficient? My gf personally went OSCAR, but was told that theres some borderline issue, and it might be caused by OSCAR not super super accurate. Ended up she go for NIPT, but 2 weeks of miserable worry. Eventually results were ok, and her son is turning 1 years old in a few days. I'm not sure is her case a one-off kinda case or what. I have yet to pass 12 weeks, hence I did not share my unstable pregnancy (am bleeding, on hormones jabs & daily pills) to others. So i have no avenue to ask for help. #pleasehelp #1stimemom #OSCAR #nipt

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I just did both Oscar (FTS) and Nipt at the same time. because Oscar screen for structural defects, but Nipt dont. Nipt has higher accuracy in the blood test results, so yes save the unecessary wait and worry if Oscar comes back with risk, and you need to do Nipt afterall. I feel that pregnancy is a journey of uncertainties and assurance is really important. dont like surprises too so yeah gonna test for both! it depends alot of your budget also ya. so its a personal decision. sharing the info from kkh booklet too. hope it helps!

Read more
Post reply image

I'm 33 yo.. I would suggest to go Oscar. NIPT if it's high risk they will suggest you to do amniocentesis to confirm the test results. for mine I did Oscar, and results came out to be high risk 1:2 chance of down syndrome. so I was recommended to do amnio straight rather than NIPT & baby turn out to be fine. there are false positive for NIPT as well which in the end they will recommend you to do amnio. just do Oscar & if it's low risk, its really very low risk as the false positive for Oscar is really high.

Read more

for me, doctor advised that since I am below 35 yo, can just do oscar first and I followed his advice. if oscar results came out to be mid to high risk range then I can consider taking the nipt. mine came back low risk so I did not proceed to do nipt. that said, since Oscar is not a diagnostic test, it can have false positives.. two of my friends has results ranging in the low hundreds ratio and proceeded to do nipt and everything came back normal.

Read more

I'm 32. I did ask the doctor whether should I just skip Oscar and go for harmony, but Dr mentioned better to go for Oscar too as it can detect growth anomaly as well. Hence, suggested to proceed with Oscar. I did my Oscar in kkh, would recommend to first proceed with Oscar then if results is unsatisfactory, go for harmony. Hope you have smooth pregnancy. rest well mummy!

Read more

Factors to consider: Age, budget and whether there’s any pregnancy complications/conditions. Oscar was within my budget and I have no conditions or underlying issues, 24 YO so my gynae advise me to just go for OSCAR will do. But if you mentioned your pregnancy is unstable, then I would recommend you to go for NIPT. It’s more thorough and accurate.

Read more
VIP Member

Would go for a step wise approach, OSCAR first since cannot opt for OSCAR as you past certain weeks, then if result back with high risk then go for NIPT since it can be done even in later week of pregnancy e.g 2nd trimester

Nipt can detect not just Down syndrome but other chromosomes related issues that can impact a child in their life at a later stage. If have budget then can consider nipt. The cost of nipt at kkh is $700.

I did nipt comprehensive right away as the difference between the basic n comprehensive was just few hundred bucks diff. Our first child so hubby said dun do oscar

I heard when you go for OSCAR they will always say high risk to make you pay more.For me I didnt go for my first born he came out normal :)

1mo ago

That’s not true at all

We did OSCAR first in which down syndrome came as intermediate risk. So did NIPT and it came as low risk.