I'm a first time breastfeeding mom for #2 baby now at 1 week old only. past few days she was admitted due to jaundice & for that the nurses had fed her with bottled formula now the problem is after I got her back she doesn't want to latch on I'm suspecting she might be on nipple confusion already. I cld only get her to latch aft 30min of trying!!! i had to use nipple shield then only she will want to latch. I almost want to gave up.. meanwhile I'm feeding her breast milk in bottle which I've pumped or with nipple shield. how do I get her to latch on again w/o nipple shield?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The good news is that babies are "hard-wired" to the breast, which means that this is the most natural thing for them to do and sooner or later, they will get back to your breast after refusing it for a bottle or a teat. As one poster mention, try to do a skin to skin contact with your baby as often as possible. Without your shirt on and with the baby wearing only a diaper, put her tummy down on your chest and try to relax. Your baby may not latch on immediately but watch out for these signs: 1. Baby is rooting for the nipple. 2. Opens her mouth or licks the nipple. 3. Takes the nipple in but doesn't suck. It takes time for the baby to accomplish all but be positive that she will get there. Hope this helps.

Read more