Severe contractions but not dilated.

Hi! I’m currently 40 weeks pregnant. I’ve been having really bad contractions for the past 4 days, which gets worse at night. However, during my last gynae check, I was 0cm dilated. Has anyone experienced something similar? And when do you know when to admit yourself to the hospital? Thanks in advance!

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

See the pattern of your contraction. If the contraction duration is around every 10-5 minutes and each last for 1 min consistently (you even dont want to/cant talk anymore , go hospital immediately. But if the contraction didnt show obvious pattern, like random timing, that could be braxton hicks aka fake contraction. Try to hydrate, walk more if you have been sitting long. Fake contraction usually by doing all of these, will go away. But if the contraction persists, then your labour is coming soon.

Read more

same as me.. very painful contractions but not dilated :( worse at night to the point i can't sleep and had to walk off the pain or just stand and bend my stomach till it goes off. I'm 38+6 today. tried exercise, drinking coconut water to help induce but nothing works so far. doctor just said to monitor and make sure baby is moving.

Read more
2y ago

Hi Sue! After posting this, I happened to have the ‘bloody show’ at 40W1D and decided to just head to the hospital cos my contractions were too intense. Turns out I was 3cm dilated and they admitted me and I gave birth the following day. Took me around 5 days to go from 0 to 3cm. What I did was a lot of walking, curb walking, gentle bouncing on the yoga ball, eating dates and drinking raspberry leaf tea. Hope you get to see your little one soon! 🥰

I'm 39 weeks. Also not dilated and not having contractions. I'll be induced by 40 weeks if I'm still not in labour. I follow up with KKH, I was told if by 40 weeks, I'm not in labour I'll be induced. Maybe you should chrck with your gynae.

2y ago

Thank you! I’ve managed to deliver safely a day after posting this! From what I know, KKH can wait up to 40W5D before they choose to induce you, provided you have a low-risk pregnancy. Don’t worry ok, you still have time! ☺️

when was your last gynae check? was it within the past 4 days?

2y ago

It was the past 3 days. ☺️