When to see a gynae?

I’m 5 weeks and not sure if it’s too early to see a gynae. Heard that you can only ultrasound when 8 weeks. Is there a point in me finding and seeing a gynae now or should I wait? #firsttimemom

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My gynae arranged for me to see him at week 6, then I had to postpone to week 7 and at that time we had to do transvaginal instead to see and had heartbeat but was calculated to be 6 weeks only (but my cycle is slightly longer so maybe that’s why off) so 5 weeks could be a bit too early! Maybe you can go at 6 weeks if you have a regular cycle and think you ovulated at around day 14:) otherwise can go week 7 but may or may not do the transvaginal scan

Read more

I went to see the gynae in week 5 to confirm the pregnancy. I was also anxious and wanted to see the gynae right away. The doc did ultrasound and also did transvaginal scan to see if there’s yolk sac present. You’ll definitely be able to see more and hear more (the heartbeat) in week 8, but I think if you’re anxious just schedule an earlier appointment

Read more

When I called to make an appointment, I seek their advice on when is the best time to see the gynae. The gynae fixed a date that is slightly over week 6 because she mentioned that that is normally when we would be able to see the baby’s heartbeat.

hello! i’m scheduled for my first gynae appointment at 7 weeks this coming week. i’m guessing the gynae would be doing a transvaginal ultrasound to see the baby as it’s relatively still small 🥲

Yeah perhaps too early, I thought I am week 6 but they calculated only to be week 5 and I got to go back in 2 weeks time for another check :)

yes it’s too early. best to wait till week 8 like you said