I started my baby boy on BLW 2 weeks before he turned 6 months old. He has been rather interested and accurate in putting the foods into his mouth but noticed he hasn't started biting on them. He's just mouthing them. Did I do it wrong? When will they start to chew on the food?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

is he able to sit upright without support? that's when blw is supposed to start, around 6mos or later - blw is not a method to start solid foods earlier than recommended. i offered foods to my 6mo on the dot but she wasnt interested so we took it slow. she started only biting and ingesting around 7mos+ and i noticed this coincided with when she was sitting much more stably on her own

Read more
8y ago

He can sit upright but with support needed.

The fact that he is mouthing his food instead of just swallowing shows that he is getting more aware of how food should be handled. Give him some time and monitor his progress. You can help him along by making chewing motions with your mouth when he's eating.

He is still exploring the taste and the texture. Give him time and he will realize that he can bite and swallow them. I find that eating together in the table helps as the kids see the adult eat to. They copy and eventually they are able to do on their own.