I heard there are some essential oils that aren’t safe for use when pregnant. Would anyone know what those are?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The use of essential oil during pregnancy appears to be a controversial topic. To play safe, it is probably best to avoid using them during the first trimester. Though there are currently no studies done to find a direct link between using essential oil and the harmful effect on babies, there are some suggestions that said essential oil constituents is able to crossing over into the placenta. I am not a regular user of essential oil, so it is really a non-issue for me. I’ve found this website listing the essential oils that appear to be safe and those that are not for use during pregnancy. Hope this helps! https://www.naha.org/explore-aromatherapy/safety/#pregnancy Those safe for use include: cardamon, German and Roman chamomile, frankincense, geranium, ginger, neroli, patchouli, petitgrain, rosewood, rose, sandalwood, and other nontoxic essential oils And those not safe: Aniseed, Basil ct. estragole, Birch, Camphor, Hyssop, Mugwort, Parsley seed or leaf, Pennyroyal, Sage, Tansy, Tarragon, Thuja, Wintergreen, Wormwood

Read more