Bottle Refusal

I have a 2.5 month old. He was taking the bottle from week 1 as he was not latching well, so I was giving him EBM in a bottle. When he was 1.5 months old he fell sick and so I latched him directly as I heard the antibodies will help him. However after this, he has refused the bottle completely and will cry and gag when we give him a bottle. He will only want direct latching. I have tried other bottle brands, I’ve tried having someone else feed him while I’m in another room, I’ve tried nipple shields. But no progress. I am starting work soon and will need to send him to IFC. I don’t know what to do as the IFC informed they only bottle feed and wont feed the baby through syringe/cup feeding. Please help!!

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I had this problem too where my baby refused to suck from bottle and will gag at it. Persistently offer your baby the bottle nonetheless, from once a day, then to twice a day, so on. A little tip that works on my baby: try to close your baby’s jaw when the bottle’s teat is in his mouth, so he realizes that he actually can begin sucking and that there will be milk coming out! My feeling is that probably baby forgot how to suck from the teat as it’s different from our nipples, so we need to train them! Hope this helps!

Read more

I think the test flows too fast compare to BM.. change. Teat.. pigeon brand is not bad

did you try changing the teats? to a faster flow?