How do I know if my baby is full / is he having a feeding aversion??

11 week old baby here. He drinks about 100-120ml of milk, stops drinking and will cry hysterically with aching back. I tried to give him the bottle again but he refuses to suckle, will suckle abit and continue crying / plays with the teat / appears not interested. Could it be a feeding aversion😭 as we did force feed him to drink when his milk intake was decreasing per feed:( Is he showing signs of being full or is he having a feeding aversion. Please help, a first time mummy here..#pleasehelp

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mummy, you can try to adjust the amount. If you observe he stops drinking at eg 90,100 then next feed, offer lesser to avoid wastage. And yes, never force feed as it may backfire instead. At 11 weeks, they may also go thru certain leaps where they might drink lesser or drink more during growth spurts (these are normal and as long as diaper output is good, baby is active no need to worry. Don’t worry too much, soon you’ll be able to get it after sometime. 💪🏻💪🏻

Read more
2y ago

It depends on individuals. Leaps mostly occurs at 3,6,9m however in between you may realize that baby suddenly goes on a milk strike or drinks way lesser than usual but don’t worry, it won’t last long. When my LO goes thru a leap, her intake always dropped to 40~60ml and go back to normal in a week. And then when she’s going thru growth spurts, she takes 150~200ml every 1 hourly 😂 Not forgetting as they grow, they will also get more curious of the surroundings which makes them want to play instead of drink. This is also normal as well at the later stage. Just adjust the milk to avoid wastage and also force feeding, don’t worry too much. 😊

Sounds like trapped gas in the tummy, try burp baby and do bicycle, best if baby can fart. After baby calms down then continue to feed again after that. That’s what works for my baby. But 100-120ml for 11weeks sounds like a right amount per feed.