In laws - Not allowing to visit baby immediately once born

I will be giving birth this month (July 2022) and im gg to be a FTM. I am an introvert and im not very good at adapting to change and esp becoming a new mom so i think i will need time to adjust and just find myself, collect my emotions & thoughts etc. What do you guys think about me not allowing MIL to immediately come and visit me & baby? Is it wrong? I have an ok-ok rs with her. (she has only been nicer to me bcs im pregnant, we didnt rlly have a good past). Am i being selfish or evil? This will be her first grandchild btw. My parents think that its not right. #firstbaby #pleasehelp

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Are you staying with your parents or are your parents allowed to visit you and baby? If yes then it will be unfair for your in-laws. It can cause a friction easily between both parties and we don’t want that to happen. Trust me, some day you will need your in-laws help be it tiny or huge favour and we want to keep some peace, respect and a mutual relationship between all parties surrounding a child. Perhaps you can discuss this over with your husband, see what he thinks. Don’t exclude him cause he’s the baby daddy after all and that is his parents. Without his parents, you won’t be giving birth to the child at all. We know how exciting welcoming a first grandchild can be, I mean all newborns are like that. Let him know what you think or feel, if it’s okay that his parents come visit a later time, as you and baby need to recuperate and rest before receiving visitors. Let you settle down with a routine probably before receiving visitors so that your baby won’t be neglected when they come over. It happens so do let him know. Cause when there are visitors, you tend to forget this and that especially when they are carrying the baby, and in the end the baby will get over-stimulated and you’ll be worried unnecessarily.

Read more
2y ago

That’s correct, I totally agree. In that case, it’s their loss. They’re not being the bigger person. Let them be. If they help with ill intentions, learn a lesson or two from it then draw a line. So at least we can see for ourselves what they’re capable of doing with our child and can back up ourselves and say Hey look, at least I did allow my in-laws to help me. But it’s just not working out, so thanks but no thanks. Be humble, kind and brush it off. In-laws don’t raise you so they don’t know you. It’s perfectly fine to have limits with people who don’t see you growing up. And it’s completely your rights to not let these people interfere much in your children’s lives.