How long does it take for a baby to finish a bowl of mashed solids? My baby takes about an hour or more. Is that a normal pace?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's totally normal among babies to finish even just a spoonful of meal in a slow pace especially if they were just introduced to soft solids. While you give him/her plenty of time to get used to the feedings, you go get yourself lots of patience too. We can never rush them as it may just lead to rejection and we don't want that to happen. Basing it from my own experience, it took me several hours just to get my baby's permission to let that tiny spoon enter her mouth the first few times. And now that she's 1yo and know exactly how to say 'no' or 'stop' plus the distractions at home, one hour of feeding is just normal for the two of us. I just pray that it'll get better soon. hehe :) Meanwhile I'll share with you this good read on starting solids for babies: http://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/start-solids/

Read more

My baby finishes around 3-4 tablespoonful of mashed solids in 30-45 minutes, including pauses as ometimes she's watching videos while eating.

My kids finish theirs for at least 30 mins. They watch TV so they're quite sluggish but I prefer that more than not eating at all

Due to distractions, my baby finishes her solids in half an hour especially if the TV is on.